How to Migrate from Facebook to Google+
Many people who have reasons to say goodbye to Facebook, are opting to shift to Google+. Moving from one social network to another social network is not a very easy thing to do. But, with the use of certain tools, it is easier to export your profile information, photos and friends to your desired social network. With the increasing popularity of the newly launched social network, Google+, people have found one more a good option to stay connected with their friends. Google+ is considered to be more secure than Facebook, because of the dual authentication system in Google+, which is just like how we use e-banking services. Google authenticator app sends a code to your smartphone, after you enter your Google+ password. This is an additional security feature in Google+.
- First, log in to your Facebook account and click on Account, which is located on the upper right corner of the home page.
- Select Account Settings from the drop down menu of Account.
- On the Account Settings window, you will find Download a copy of your data, which is located in the bottom of the page.
- Click on download a copy, and you will be directed to a window, on which, you need to click on the button, Start archive.
- Once you click on Start Archive, your personal archive containing your information, will be generated and an email will be sent to you, once the archive is ready.
This is a safe method to get your information, but it takes hours or even a day, for Facebook to send you the email containing the archive of your information.
Exporting your Contacts
Using Facebook Friend Exporter
- Download the software, Facebook Friend Exporter and install it in your computer.
- Log in to your Facebook account, where you will find the tab, Export Friends in the main menu.
- After you click on Export Friends, you will be directed to a window, where you need to select, Let’s get started!
- Cache all your photos and click on, Let’s start.
- You will be given two options to export your friends list to Google+. One way is through Gmail, wherein you need to log in to your Gmail account and import your friends list and the another way is, through CSV (Comma Spreaded value).
- CSV is a simpler method, wherein you copy and paste the CSV file in a notepad, and save it in .csv format.
- Now, go to Google+ home page and click on Upload Address Book, and select the .csv file from the folder, where you have stored the file. That’s it!
- Select the friends list that appear on your Google+ home page, and drag it and place them in the Friends Circle, which appears on your Google+ account.
Another way is through your Yahoo account. Google has a collaboration with Yahoo, to carry out this migration process.
- Download the software, Facebook Export.
- Log in to Google+, and follow the path: Videos → Upload new videos.
- Upload the photos which you have downloaded on your system, to Google+.
Exporting your Photos
To export your album to Google+, what you need to do is, download them and re-upload on Google+.
- Download Picasa.
- Add the photos, which you have downloaded, to Picasa. To do this, follow the path on Picasa: File → Add Folder to Picasa.
- After importing the photos to Picasa, find the photo album and click on Sync to web, which is on the upper right corner of the current window.
- A pop-up window will appear, on which you need to sign in with your Google+ account.
- A pop-up window asking you to verify the upload settings, will appear.
- Click on the option, change settings, and modify your settings.
- Enable the check box, Use the above settings.
- Go to Picasa, and click on sync button, and the uploading of your photos will be done automatically.
Using Pick & Zip
You can also use a free software called Pick & Zip, where you can download your photo album, by logging in to your Facebook account, from Pick & Zip website. A zip file containing your photo album will be downloaded, after you click on the tab, Download all photos. Extract the zip file, which has two folders, albums and tagged. Now follow the route on Google +, to upload your photos in Google+: view profile → photos → upload new photos.
With increased privacy and attractive features, the recent launch of Google+ has interested many social media lovers, to migrate to Google+. Google+ is undeniably an excellent competitor to Facebook. Many assert that, Google+ is an upgraded version of Facebook and they prefer migrating to it. However, there are still many people who are happy with Facebook. If you are not very obsessed with Facebook, you can try Google+ for a change.